#My Journal

Life Changer _A Short Story


The mirror reflection was that of my present hunting me as fear, as all I saw standing was a hopeless image giving hope to many, smiling at my beautiful work of them in pictures.

Those thoughts never lasted long, as I would hear Mama struggling for breath. It’s the prayer of a mother to eat the fruit of her labor, but I’m 25 years old and still feeding on Mama’s pension.

“My daughter, you’re here in front of the mirror again. I know life can be hard, but you must go harder; be your own kind of boss.” Those were Mama’s words always to me.

I Want to Make It, Mama! Those were my screaming, voiceless sounds as my tears did the speaking.

* * * * * * *

My writing services paid nothing or less, as 90% of my emails were filled with condolences about how they found someone better for the job, and the other 10% were Nigerian.

* * * * * * *

Amina, you can’t keep borrowing my equipment; they’re looking older than their age already.

Those were the words I feared the most—my helpers backing out on me.

* * * * * * *

On my way home, I entered a shopping mall, but the noise in the hallway stunned me as I saw my dream mentor, “Bayo Omoboriowo.”

Is that not Mr. Bayo?

Yes, I am.

I froze. I thought my thoughts were speaking, but I actually did speak, and he responded.

What do you do, miss?

“Shocked.” I’m a photographer without equipment, sir.

Show me your works (scrolls through).

Wow, these are quite impressive. This is my business card. Come around the office on Monday by 10 a.m.

* * * * * * *

I slept and woke up thinking it was a dream, but yes, it was a dream come true. I recount my encounter at Mr. Bayo’s office, which is another story entirely.

My life changed as I began motivating young people never to give up on their dreams

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *